One question that I often receive as a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist is “what are healthy snacks options for me at work?” Snack can be part of a very healthy diet as it keeps us full and prevents overeating at meals, maintains blood sugars within normal limits, and gives us needed energy during a busy work week. Instead of grabbing chips, candy bars, or cookies for a 3pm snack, try some of these options below.
- Fresh fruit like apples, oranges, bananas, pears, peaches, and fresh berry varieties; Feel free to create a dip with low fat yogurt or unsweetened applesauce.
- Fresh vegetable options like baby carrots, celery, sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, or snap peas; Feel free to add a small portion of ranch or hummus.
- High fiber, low sugar breakfast cereals (with or without milk); Cereal can also be added to low fat yogurt varieties.
- Cans or pouches of tuna or chicken with whole wheat crackers.
- Low fat cottage cheese with diced fresh fruit or canned fruit packed in its own juice or water.
- Whole grain tortilla chips or whole grain pitas with a hummus dip or salsa + cream cheese.